Bit Rate Throttling is now out of Beta. We are really pleased to announced the release of IIS Media Pack Bit Rate Throttling
The key features that constitute V 1.0 of Bit Rate Throttling are:
- Automatically reads the encoded bit rate information from each defined media file type
- Per-response bandwidth limiting on progressive downloads for every connection
- Throttling rules are configurable at the server, site, virtual directory, and file levels
- Fast Start experience for end users
- Extensible to add support for other media and file formats
- Fully integrated into the IIS7 administration and configuration models
- Set default and maximum throttling rates, and concurrent connection limits
- NEW - Dynamically adjust throttling to account for any available bandwidth as per a configured value (watch out for another post on this shortly)
For more information, see the Bit Rate Throttling walkthroughs:
Bit Rate Throttling Setup Walkthrough. Describes how to download and install the Bit Rate Throttling module.
Bit Rate Throttling Configuration Walkthrough. Describes how to configure the Bit Rate Throttling module at the server, site, virtual directory, and file levels, including new Site-level limits.
Bit Rate Throttling Extensibility Walkthrough. Describes how to use the extensibility interface provided by the Rate Throttling module to add support for additional media file types.
I cannot end this post without thanking the team for tremendous hard work. Thank you all!
Andrew, Sam, Jack and Brian for coding it
Jimin and Dave Cox for testing it
David Nelson for all the help content that ships with this release
And of course, I was the PM ;) (It's my post so I get to thank myself)
Chris (PM), for helping out with all earlier releases. We would not have got so far without that.
Mike, for envisioning this idea and doing early prototypes. We would not have this feature without him :)
Bit Rate Throttling is a great value add to the progressive download scenarios. Don't believe me, try it out to believe for yourself. We had fun making it hope you enjoy using the same.