Today, we are excited to announce the Beta 2 release of Smooth Streaming Client SDK for Windows 8, which provides many improvements, added new features to integrate Smooth Streaming to video and media element in Windows 8 Store apps and supports the Windows 8 RTM.
Aligned to this release, Player Framework (Preview 5) for Windows 8 released which makes it easy for you to build rich apps that consume video and provides player controls that you can use in your Windows 8 Applications.
This version of the Smooth Streaming Client includes many improvements, supports multiple platforms and lights the following capabilities with the video and media element:
- X86, x64, and ARM platform support
- VOD (VC-1/WMA - H.264/AAC Play, Pause, Seek, Stop)
- Live (VC-1/WMA - H.264/AAC Play)
- Live DVR (VC-1/WMA - H.264/AAC Pause, Seek, Go to Live) (New in Beta2)
- Multiple audio language switching with APIs (New in Beta2)
- Track-selection for playback (for example, restrict the available bitrates) (New in Beta2)
- Offline playback scenarios via Downloader Plugin (New in Beta2)
- Content protection – Microsoft PlayReady integration for VC-1/WMA - H.264/AAC content
- Trickplay (slow motion, fast-forward, and rewind)
- Microsoft PlayReady Key rotation
The initial release notes are available through IIS Learn Center and can be found here.
Step by steps instructions for building a basic HTML5 Smooth Streaming Windows 8 Store application; can be found here.
For Smooth Streaming PlayReady protected content support, you need “PlayReady Client SDK for Windows 8 Applications” and corresponding code blocks which can be downloaded from here.
As this is a beta release, you’re likely to hit issues, have feature requests, or want to provide general feedback—we want to hear it all! Please use the Smooth Streaming Client on Windows 8 Forum thread to let us know what’s working, what isn’t, and how we can improve your Smooth Streaming development experience for Windows 8 applications.