Classic ASP: Security is Painful

I had to write some good old classic ASP code today and my classic ASP coding skills are so rusty that I put tons of errors in the code. I'm used to having basic ASP error messages on IIS5 and 6 which usually help me to track down problems. On IIS7 I only got the following though:

An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator

After investigating a bit I figured out that we changed the default for the "scriptErrorSentToBrowser" flag in IIS7. It's now false and you always get the error above. Here is how to change it:

1) Start an elevated command prompt. Right-click the command shell item in the Start-Accessories menu and select "Run as Administrator".

2) Run the following command: %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config -section:asp -scriptErrorSentToBrowser:true

Once you are done with debugging your ASP app please set it back to false. There are lots of 'evildoers' out there! :)

Published Tuesday, February 6, 2007 6:06 PM by thomad

Comments

# re: Classic ASP: Security is Painful

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 8:48 AM by TobinTitus

I did some Classic ASP work recently myself.  Oh how far we've come :)

# re: Classic ASP: Security is Painful

Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:39 AM by steve schofield

That is too funny.  I thought I was the only one that used those errors as a form of a debugger.  Those were the days.

-Update,

-Publish

-Refresh the browser and pray the error was on a different line. :-}

Steve

# re: Classic ASP: Security is Painful

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:38 PM by Clay

This solution is not an option when using Vista 64 bit. Any other idea's?

# re: Classic ASP: Security is Painful

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:05 PM by Michael Hughes

Hello, I've tried this on my local machine but get this error:

ERROR ( hresult:80070005, message:Failed to commit configuration changes.

Access is denied.

I am using an administrator account, so what should I do to give me or the system more access to this folder?

Thanks,

Michael

# re: Classic ASP: Security is Painful

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:50 AM by Richard

Michael,

Right click on the command prompt and choose run as administrator.

Richard